Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Christmas card- 1 gift

This is my first attempt at a lot of things. First time ever coloring in black and white shade and first time using the new alcohol markers. Before I used a mix of Bic, Promarkers, Copic...and a few others. They would never give me light hues or pastels so I am branching my markers out. Go easy with the critique of the coloring. I am learning to ALWAYS check the marker cap color ( tapped a dark color on her leg thinking it was light), how the markers bleed and what shades can be blended with others well.




Notice some really random items on the card? I have -no- green embellishments and I had to use what I had. When I started to run into all these issues I then had to get even more creative.  When I started to stitch I stitched a HOLE in my card!!! See a HOLE.  I kind of freaked out but then kept on stitching, which I am still getting the hang of.  After my card was stitched together I still had the hole but no ideas to cover it up at all. I went to my "Crap gotta clean up in 2 seconds" drawer and found this little piece of ribbon.  I just had enough to do the two sides.  It is not what I would have liked but it was better than starting all over and overall it does work with the card.

Now for the green flourish on the left. UGH I had little "puffs" of thread that kept sticking up so I put the flourish there to keep the puffs down. This card seems to have a mind of its own especially when I outlined the area in glitter. I could not coordinate my hands with the card and the glitter went where it wanted.  Of course I learned the hard way that you really cannot move glitter. It will leave behind this glossy smear of glue and look worse than a crooked line of glitter.

End result is I love the card, and each challenge that it gave me! I love just about all things I make and always have fun making the items.  I usually...never work with green so that was fun, and made me realise I need more of it.   Be easy with my coloring, just got the markers yesterday and i need to work on blending. My paper was getting too soaked for me to keep going. Practice practice practice.



The following challengs are the ones I am entering into. Seems like a lof of folks are doing anything goes which made my entries kinda high. I am stoping before 25. Thats a lot of work as it is, but I love to share and I love the feeling of joining in on the fun!
Lovely hAnglar- Grey image colored background.
2 Sisters challenge- color challenge----Top 3 :D
Christmas card challenges------ Punches (mat design in card. Fiskars lattice looking one. Matches ribbon!)
Fussy and Fancy- -----------Punches and dies
The poodles parlor----------- Anything goes
Crafty Anns--------- Stitching
Crafty Catz---- Anything goes
Christmas stamping---------- Anything goes
CraftyHazelnuts------ ANY sentiment but no word christmas
Kaboodle doodles------ pop/3d dimensions
Crazy4 challenges- Paper piecing
Inky Impressions-------- Anything goes
Magnolia stamp lovers---------- Stitch
Paper Sundaes--------- ribbon and pearl. Who would have thought that my mistake would let me into another contest?
Crafty Sentiments designs---------- Spots or stripes
Papertake weekly- ----------Anything goes
Paper playtime-------- Anything goes
Pixie dust----- emboss (my tree is embossed, dry)
Simon says ----- anything goes
Tottaly Tilda------- Stitching (around the edge...you know where the HOLE was :)  )
Winter wonderland------- Girls!
Craft us crazy- I love magnolia and 2 sisters blog inspired the whole color scheme fun!

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card - love the shading - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 70 - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining us at Poodles Parlour with your lovely Christmas card

    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. CarlyJo you made me smile reading your post :-) We all have "accidents" but in true crafting style we manage to find a way to cover them up don't we?

    Thanks for joining our punches and dies challenge over at Fussy and Fancy - good luck!

    xx Happy crafting and glittery hugs xx

    Sazzle

    http://sazzlecraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet design and lovely colour combination. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet card!! Love all the sparkle!! Thanks for joining us at Paper Playtime!!

    BIG HUGS,
    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
    Paper Playtime DTM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card thank you for joining in at SCC this time
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet, thanks for playing at Winter Wonderland and Crafty Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card and I for one can empathise with you but it's great how we find ways to put our 'happy accidents' to good use. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great card, CarlyJo. Your colouring looks good to me and your 'accidents' have turned out fine :)
    Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Ann's.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Thanks for playing with CSAYL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card CarlyJo, the green against the greys and blacks looks so effective, thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card!

    thank you for joining in the fun with us at Sparkles Christmas for our " Christmas Tree " challenge

    Hope you will join us again soon
    good luck in the draw

    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely creation and great idea! Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Totally Tilda and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great card! fab use of colour and embellies! thankyou for joining the fun this time over at totally tilda challenge!
    hugs
    JAcqui P x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card CarlyJo! Thank you for joining us at Papertake Weekly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have made such a sweet christmas card, Tilda is so cute. Thanks for joining us at POODLES PARLOUR 'Anything Goes' Challenge. Good luck and hope to see you next time. Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow gorgeous card, love the image and the green is fantastic, I had to laugh, so many times I spend looking for a suitable embellishment to cover up mishaps. I think your colouring is super. Thank you for joining us at 2 Sisters Challenge Blog this week :-) Kezzy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your card CarlyJo, and love your creativity even more! Thank you for sharing both with us at Crafty Ann's and I very much hope we'll see you again for the next one.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful card. Thanks for joining us over at 'The Poodles Parlour'. Good luck.

    Elke XX

    ReplyDelete
  20. great monochromatic look!

    Thanks for joining us at the Christmas Card challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely card, thank you for joining LHO
    Hugs Anke

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have made a lovely card! Thanks for joining LHoSM.
    Hugs Nicolet

    ReplyDelete